Monday, August 5, 2013

Mommy's Night Out

I might just be crazy to argue with my school-going husband for a little time to get out of the house, away from our two beautiful children to come to a seat-filled Starbucks to buy a water and a granola bar, so that I don't get in trouble for stealing internet, just to type all that.  Man.  Life. Is. Hard...when you have little kids.

Hi, I'm Katie.  This is my first post.  I have two little boys (2 and 6 months).  They are precious.  I stay home with them everyday while my husband works his way through chemical engineering school and an internship.  He let me out today to have some time to myself.  How amazing it is.

I think I've forgotten how to do this.  As I approached the Starbuck's door, I realized that I left my confidence at home with the kids.  I am alone.  Vulnerable.  My kids do something for me that I worked so hard for during the course of my entire school career, K-college.  Yep.  They help me to not give a shit about what anyone thinks of me.  I put on my mommy suit of armor each day, and go out to fight the world, ensuring that their little needs will be met above all.  It's super easy to forget that I only remembered to put mascara on one eye or that I forgot to put the breastpads on that prevent the world from seeing my nipples.  I'm not apologizing.  This is my blog.

I awkwardly read the ingredients to a bag of some crappy peanut butter pretzel balls while holding up the coffee line, and nervously mumbled, "I shouldn't read these things or I won't buy them."  The barista hunched down, "I'm sorry.  What did you say?"  This social stuff takes practice.  I love it though, and I'm so glad to be here, away from the chaos that is dinner time!  Husband has the boys, and no matter if I call or not, they will be okay.  So, I bid you farewell until the next time I have some time.  This time is precious, and I'm off to start a novel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment